Sunday, September 28, 2008

ONE LOVELY DRAWING, part 22

In this drawing, the great Saul Steinberg captures different lives in their journey from birth (A) to the end (B).



It's hard to imagine a simpler reduction of biographies to plastic form. I suspect you know some of these people. To understand the discipline that line imposes, you might try distilling your own life, or your own relationships, this way.

Philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein once wrote,
What can't be said can't be said and can't be whistled either.
But as Steinberg repeatedly reminds us, sometimes it can be drawn.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of some of the other scribbles.

:(

Anonymous said...

The most influential drawing of my life.

Anonymous said...

this is not a real sketch- consciousness's flux ?
it's like an improvising jazz-pattern-solo
or pure paranoia's addiction

Anonymous said...

My life is like that one in the center at the bottom.

ces said...

I can't choose which one my life is like - my life, at different times, is like each one!

Anonymous said...

wow this is the "informal" style !!!
but how many artists we can remember about, in effect ?
i think onehundred... too much even for the history of art , museums and art gallerys

Anonymous said...

for me, this is an exemple of automatic writing, in the way of Pollock and J. Cage,an aleatory's drawning melt whit some jazz-solo-patterns

Matt Jones said...

I managed to visit Mr Ronald Searle last weekend-see my blog for details.

Rico said...

I LOVE Steinberg... always inspiring.

Madison Perry said...

I love this blog! I have a question for you, will you please contact me at your convenience. Thank you.