Monday, July 19, 2021

NEW BOOK FROM TOM FLUHARTY

 Tom Fluharty is an artist with great enthusiasms.  

When he became enthused about dogs, he produced a torrent of drawings and paintings of dogs.  


They were marvelous-- funny, smart and truly insightful about the nature of dogs.




Then for a while he became infatuated with sharks.  He also produced a series of pictures of rock stars, and then a series of orchestra conductors.  Each time, he burrowed into his theme with enthusiasm and energy.  You can see in his drawings the pleasure he takes in playing with the character of his subjects.  

Now it's time for cowboys.

Fluharty has produced a brand new book full of drawings of cowboys.  

As with his previous infatuations his cowboy pictures are a delight, full of loving details, hilarious facial expressions and a variety of situations.  


The book contains 72 pages of new drawings in Fluharty's trademark indigo blue pencil.  I recommend it to all connoisseurs of draftsmanship.  

Fluharty's web site offers two options.  You can either order the regular book, or for those interested in owning an original, Fluharty is also offering a special inscribed edition of the book with an original drawing.    

5 comments:

MORAN said...

Awesome!

chris bennett said...

Good grief, these are so good!
I find the dog drawings of particular interest, because they make it even more apparent how, in order to understand something, in this case a dog, we imaginatively embody it with ourselves, and why this is reciprocal; that by the same means, a dog can understand us.

kev ferrara said...

Truly great.

Anonymous said...

I've loved Fluharty's work since I first read about him on this blog. Never thought I could own one of his drawings until now.

JSL

Gary Locke said...

love my iMac is taped to my bookshelf----an original sketch by Tom of 4 old men that I know not who thy are---caricatures--done in the late 90's-----probably for the Weekly Standard.................................................aged tracing paper taped to a white sheet of a heavy white paper---teaars---------a red marker must have rolled across his desk before it was sent to me-----a red mark slices across the face of one character and the hand of another. When I am struggling with a likeness as I do a sketch for a magazine---which is a regular occurrence---struggling-------I take a minute----study this sketch above my screen and remind myself that there is another way to hold my pencil, or my stylus--there is another shape I could start with----symatry is for sissies-----glasses should NEVER be symmetrical.......podiums can be drawn howEVER the heck you wanna draw them---they are JUST podiums....give that shape some FLARE ! ! Just a few minutes letting Tom show me how to think...how to not OVERTHINK...........and I am back on track.......drawing with more grace and flare and UMPH!. . . . . . . . . . I am a lucky man to know Tom as a great friend. He is beyond category on many levels in life...............bit drawing skill-------he is beyond this planet.....I thank God for allowing us to be contemporaries.....treasure each drawing from him you are allowed to see.