Monday, September 18, 2023

THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF FACES

This drawing by Romanian artist Dan Perjovschi is about an inch tall:



It's one in a long line of faces like these...




...which are part of an even larger grid...
 



... which continues on and on...


...and on and on!


I really like these obsessive, energetic little faces.  I stumbled across them in the Taubman Museum of Art in Roanoke Virginia.   Each tiny face is more important and less important than you'd suspect.

The individual faces are more important because each is different, and worthy of a look-- no Photoshop or AI here.   Mr. Perjovschi doesn't coast on autopilot-- he paid for each of those faces.  His variety was stunning, and his sustained intensity was a little freaky.    




 But at the same time, each individual face is less important than you'd think.   The tiny faces blur together to create a single design effect. 






After thousands and thousands of these obsessive faces, they tend to disintegrate into more abstract shapes-- lines gone crazy in a way slightly (but not totally) different from the craziness of the faces they echo.



I take my hat off to Mr. Perjovschi for the intensity of his vision, for the level of clean, honest work that he puts into it, and to the art museum in the small town of Roanoke, Virginia, for introducing me to his drawings.



4 comments:

MORAN said...

This guy is awesome.

Tororo said...

And I take my hat off to you, Sir, for the clever way you presented these drawings.
I shared the info on my blog.

Movieac said...

Lovecraftian

dan perjovschi said...

Thank you very much for this wonderful presentation. The drawing installation belong to a series of works (with little fellows) both on paper and direct on the wall I did starting with 1988 and until 1996 annalising the dictatorial society (Romania) i was born and grew up as an artist. Masses of people you can realise are individual only from a closer look. My country free itself in 1989 when the Communist regime fell (after the Berlin Wall domino effect) and I could start my international career (it was not possible to travel and exhibit abroad until 1989). But Romania was poor and the art institution undeveloped and with no network. I had to manage myself hence the A4 size of the works one can easy transport in the suitcase. I did big size installation with reduce size elements. And then I went anddraw this guys directly on the wall. Amd this is what i am doing until today... well not those guys but the present guys (you, we, them) and not the guys but their stories. It was a long way... but somehow I maade it. Thank you again